Please feel free to leave thoughts and comments. I would like to know what you think.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Hawksrising Part 1: Dragon Knights 5

     Aylin repeated the word a few times to herself, associating it as the dragon's name. "I like it. I think is suits you." she finally said.
     "Thank you." he replied.
     Silence reigned once again. This time, it was Thunder who broke it.
     "Where will you go? The induction is a month away."
     Aylin gave him a sheepish look, "I didn't think that far ahead. I just took off. I didn't even think about what would happen if I wasn't chosen."
     The dragon gave a huff, blowing  smoke out of his nostrils. Apparently her recklessness did not surprise him.
     They sat in silence again, watching the setting sun.
     "What about Hawksrising?"
     Aylin gave the dragon a puzzled look. "What about it?"
     "Did you not say that is where you are from? Why not stay there?"
     Aylin looked down at her feet. She quietly replied, "I've never been there. I don't even know were it is."
     She felt Thunder's eyes on her, but refused to look at him. She heard him move, a quiet rustle of scales and the click of claws.
     "Then I shall show you where it is."
     At this, she glanced up at him, a look of hope lighting her face. "Really?" she asked. "You know where it is?"
     "Every dragon knows where the home of the Dragonfriend is."
     "How will we get there?"
     Thunder looked at her, and Aylin could have sworn in was a look of frustration. "I will fly you there."
     She looked at him for a moment. "You can do that? I thought you had to be older for someone to ride you. How will I stay on?"
     "I am old enough to carry a small rider and we can rest if I need to. Do you know how to ride a horse bare-back? 
      "I've done it once or twice."
      "Then that will have to suffice. Do not worry, if you fall, I will catch you."
     Aylin stared at him in silence for another moment and then got to her feet. Thunder lowered himself so she could climb onto his back. She found the hollow where his neck met his chest and situated herself. While not exactly comfrotable, the spot did offer some stability, and she gripped his neck with her knees. She leaned into his neck and found that she could grip the edges his scales by slightly pulling them up. Unlike a snakes, they had ridges and offered a fairly good grip.
    "Are you ready?" the dragon asked after she had stopped fidgeting.
    "Here goes nothing."
     She felt Thunder tense for a moment and then he sprung from the balcony. Aylin almost lost her grip. She felt the scales bite into her hands and hoped they had not cut them. A moment later, there was a jolt and a feeling of weightlessness as Thunder spread his wings leveled out.  He circled the citadel once, and then headed south-east.

**If you are interested in reading the ongoing continuation of this story, please follow this link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/66057351-dragon-knights
Thanks!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment